Every Love Story Needs a Hero & Today I'm Celebrating Mine
No great love story is complete without its hero, there's Darcy for Elizabeth, Gil for Anne, and Rhett for Scarlett.
Normally when one hears the word "hero" they think of someone daring and brave- willing to do whatever they take to save the maiden they love, even if that means battling rodents of unusual size in the Fire Swamp and enduring the tortuous Pit of Despair as Westley did in The Princess Bride. While those endeavors are definitely swoon-worthy, I've found that it's not just the daring and dramatic actions that make a great hero, but rather the devotion and steadfastness of love exemplified throughout all of life's moments- both the exciting and the everyday. (Although, some good old-fashioned muscle-flexing isn't anything to scoff at either ;)
I know Thanksgiving probably seems like a strange time to talk about romantic heroes, but my own hero, Jonathan, was born 28 years ago today and I could not be more thankful! So while we're counting blessings I thought I'd round up 28 reasons I'm most thankful for this man, and what makes him my hero.
Here's to the man who...
- Still holds my hand wherever we go, whether we're cruising in the car or at the grocery store, even after eight years of being together.
- Busts out ridiculous dance moves in the kitchen
- Willingly smiles for just one more picture
- Doesn't complain when I put my freezing cold feet on him at night or steal all the covers
- Always gasses up my car
- Lets me drink the majority of a Chick-Fil-A milkshake that we got to share
- Endures me constantly singing the same few lines of a song over and over again, and adds backup with the best drum sound effects ever
- Buys me books
- Prays for us everyday before leaving for work and every night when we get in bed
- Kills all the bugs in our house
- Shares his Chipotle with me
- Lets me listen to country music in the car even though it is not his favorite
- Shows compassion to the homeless
- Encourages and supports my dreams
- Can make anyone feel welcome
- Listens to me gush about my favorite books
- Understands my need to eat something crunchy with every meal and indulges my cravings even if it means driving to Kroger at 10pm to buy Oreos
- Dreams bigger than anyone I know and has more ambition than I can keep up with
- Pushes me outside of my comfort zone
- Goes to JoAnn's and Michaels and lets me take my time picking out crafty items even though it's probably the last place he wants to be
- Does all the driving on long road trips
- Buys me flowers just because
- Makes the best fried egg sandwiches
- Gives hugs that have the ability to right everything that's wrong
- Patiently explains all manner of finance-y things to me even though we all know he's the one who will take care of it all
- Opens my car door
- Serves our church
- Always kisses me goodbye and never leaves without saying "I love you."
I could keep going, but I've got a house full of hungry people and a turkey to put in the oven! Here's to wishing everyone a joyful and love-filled Thanksgiving; may you hold your heroes a little closer and let them know you're thankful for all the little things they do.
Everyday, but especially today, I'm thankful for this man I get to do life with. Happy birthday, my love!